Saturday, January 31, 2009

Back in the S(e)wing

I was blessed with the world's best Home Ec teacher in high school, who taught me a love of sewing (and a great affection for seam rippers...possibly the more valuable trait, since I do a lot of it) that I've carried with me ever since. I can lose hours in a fabric store, poring over the fabrics, envisioning what I can make, and knowing that whatever it is it will be uniquely mine. I think for me, that is the beauty of sewing, knitting, and other art/craft forms...the individuality. The knowledge that no one will ever put colors, fabrics, or fiber together in quite the same way.

While years have gone by with me only occasionally feeding my sewing habit, I've always known it was there for me, just waiting to be brought back out, dusted off, and put to creative use. In high school, most of my projects were clothing. I made most of my own clothes and yes, I actually wore them. These days, however, I have an affinity for home decor and accessories.

I've been carrying around a pattern for months for a knitting tote, and finally ventured into it yesterday. I was immediately absorbed, lost in the process. As used to be the case, I forgot to eat until 3:00 p.m., and would have probably skipped dinner entirely if it hadn't been for DH asking at 7:30 if I was going to come downstairs at all that night.

It was a very good day.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relay...24 more hours in the day would be sweet to squeeze in a few more projects! Beautiful creation. I look forward to seeing it around town :0)

    ReplyDelete